Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reflections on Technology Standard #1

Creativity and Innovation - Students demonstrate creative thinking and problem solving skills to develop innovative products and processes using digital technology.

I am always on the lookout to find ways kids can express themselves creatively using the computer. Teaching first and second graders sometimes limits the programs and applications that I can find. I used to love using Kid Pix with my kiddos, but 5 years ago access to this program was taken away by our district to allow a new reading program to run instead. Since then I have been looking for other draw programs available online that will allow kids to be creative. None that I have tried are as good as Kid Pix. Any other suggestions?  I love using Wordle to have kids write word art. I have also found some great poetry sites like NEA Teach that allow kids to fill in poetry templates on-line. I would love more ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Well . . . there's always 'Paint' if you're on a PC (it comes with Windows so should be on every PC)_ . . . TuxPaint is pretty cool, too, not sure if it's still free, but you'd have to download it to each computer. If you have iPads there are several free drawing programs available, too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, TuxPaint is still free, and it's a cool program! http://tuxpaint.org/

    ReplyDelete